Monday, June 25, 2012

Time for some more ID! First I give you Verbascum blattaria or Moth Mullein. I had always thought this species was called its common name because of its importance to moths but it turns out they call it Moth Mullein because the flower looks like a moth. Lame! Anyway this is not a native plant but it still can be found in the wildflower garden this is the yellow variety, it also can bloom white. Next we'll look at Penstemon digitalis or the Foxglove Beardtongue. Although I've recently become more partial to its more delicate relative Penstemon hirsuta, this has always been one of my favorite natives. Aside from its beauty it is a tough, adaptable plant preferring full sun but tolerating a fair amount of shade, and I have seen this plant grow in wetlands as well as from dry rocky soil. An excellent choice for restoration or a perennial garden it has some excellent cultivars and supports native bumblebees. Finally I present one of my all time favorite plants Opuntia humifusa the Eastern Prickly Pear. This is the only cactus native to the northeast and can be found from Florida to Cape Cod. Basically the fact that a plant clearly meant for the desert has adapted itself to our wet weather is awesome! Aside from being a unique evergreen addition to any garden, it produces edible (if prickly) fruit, and gorgeous, exotic-looking flowers.

No comments: